03 Mar USCIS Publishes Updated Guidance on Completing New I-9 Form
Stay up to date with the most recent HR rules and regulations thanks to our partners at United Benefits Advisor (UBA),
On January 22, 2017, it became mandatory for employers to use the revised version of Form I-9, the Employment Eligibility Verification Form. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has published the updated M-274, Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9, which offers detailed guidance for employers completing Form I-9.
This updated Handbook for Employers additionally:
- Captures policy and regulatory changes since 2013
- Is written in plain language, so that it is easier to understand
- Includes a streamlined questions and answers section
- Features updated tables, new figures, and more current sample documents
- Explains guidance regarding automatic extensions for certain Employment Authorization Documents I-9s are required for all newly hired and re-hired employees.
I-9s are required for all newly hired and re-hired employees. Employers who violate the law are subject to civil fines, criminal penalties, and debarment from government contracts. Failing to comply with verification requirements carries penalties of up to $2,156 per form.
Changes and updates to Form I-9 include:
- The ability to complete the I-9 electronically
- Instructions on providing email addresses (new to the form)
- Requirements when using a designee to complete the form
- Examples of how to use the “Additional Information” section
- Instructions on updating forms when receipts were used as an original document
- An extensive new section on Automatic Extensions of Employment (EAD)
- Use of Native American Tribal documents
- Employer responsibilities when providing practical training to STEM OPT students
- Rules on reverification
- How to correct errors
In addition to the Handbook for Employers, the Table of Changes for Revised M-274 is a quick reference table that highlights all changes to the new form and verification process
To download the full HR recap click Here.