11 Jun June is National Safety Month
Original content from https://safety.blr.com
Safety Starts with Me is the theme of this year’s National Safety Month observance. The month is sponsored by the National Safety Council (NSC) to educate people and influence behaviors that lead to preventable injuries and death.
The NSC acknowledges that commitment from top leadership is essential. But equally important is a culture in which safety is owned by all, making everyone in the organization a safety leader.
Weekly themes for National Safety Month are:
- Week 1: Preventing slips, trips, and falls
- Week 2: Employee wellness
- Week 3: Emergency preparedness
- Week 4: Ergonomics
In addition, there are two bonus topics:
- Summer safety
- Driving safety
Cintas Corporation, a maker of uniforms, first-aid kids, and other workplace supplies, recommends five activities to help engage employees during National Safety Month:
- Set a company goal for training employees in CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) use.
- Fit employees for personal protective equipment.
- Host a safety contest to keep workers focused and enthusiastic.
- Test fire extinguisher skills.
- Teach emergency response.
Get your workforce involved in choosing activities that best reflect the safety culture and hazards at your place of business. Start by asking the safety committee to come up with ideas to observe National Safety Month. Be sure to publicize your efforts.