What Employers Need to Know about HIPAA and HITECH
Tuesday,Tuesday, March 12, 2019, 2:00 p.m. ET / 11:00 a.m. PT
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), its administrative simplification regulations, and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) provide administrative, privacy, and security standards for health plans and their business associates. The extent to which HIPAA applies to a health plan depends on the health plan’s structure. This webinar will help plan sponsors understand their responsibilities under HIPAA and HITECH.
During this educational webinar we will:
- Review the basics of HIPAA and HITECH
- Explain key terms
- Discuss different types of health plans to which HIPAA may apply
- DDiscuss how HIPAA applies to fully-insured plans (that use either a hands-on approach or a hands-off approach)
- Discuss how HIPAA applies to self-funded plans
- Discuss how HIPAA applies when plan sponsors self-administer plans such as an FSA or HRA
- Describe the types of notices that are required under HIPAA
- Discuss whether notices can be provided electronically (via portal or email) and whether an acknowledgement of receipt is required
- Discuss the consequences of violating HIPAA / HITECH
- Briefly discuss the Department of Health and Human Services’ recent Request for Information regarding HIPAA
- Describe best practices in administering plans to meet HIPAA / HITECH compliance
This 60-minute intermediate level webinar will help employers undersatnd how HIPAA applies to a variety of plans.